8.3.10

It's Time . . .



. . . . to tap into my inner Martha. Over the weekend I had the pleasure of going to my friend Melanie's baby shower. It was held at Micheal and Denise Jones's house. Her center pieces were hand made paper flowers that she had hot glued to real branches and place in a vase with glass rocks to hold them in place. I would love to have a few of these around our daughter's room. Now that I know we are having a little girl, my desire to become more "crafty," has just been pushed into mach speed.

My sister is making pomanders for her wedding. I want to make a paper version to hang over my daughter's crib. This will probably be the hardest, non-sewing, craft project that I will undergo. I have never been known for my craft-making. Sure, I can cut a mean quilt square and I dare any baby to try and pull my hand sewn buttons off of my quilt, but place me in front of a sewing machine and watch me freeze under pressure.

Having a daughter means tons of ruffles! I love ruffle butts! I plan on taking all of my "neutral" baby clothes that have been given to me and "ruffle" them out. Of course this will require a serious tutorship . . . Why did I not pay closer attention to my grandmother?












I plan on overcoming my fear and will learn to sew. My grandmother will be proud of me and I look forward to sharing this experience with all of you. Now, I need a sewing machine . . . any suggestions?

8 comments:

Mockabee Seven said...

I was petrified as well! I finally sucked it up and went to Wal Mart and looked for the most simple machine...Ironically, it's a Singer "Simple", lol... I love it...simple it is. One recommendation would be to have a friend or relative that can sew walk you through the first steps of threading the bobbin, etc, it would take a little less time than reading the manual! Ps--those bloomers are ridiculously cute... my bloomer basket is overflowing! Can't wait for summer!

Candace Tallmon said...

Ditto what Jodi said - I LOVE those bloomers. Must have. Must make. Can I somehow get Emmy to sleep a whole day so we can sew??

I think you can get a machine for cheaper than you might feel you could, but your also welcome to mine. You should give yourself a lot more credit -- I know you can sew!! I've seen you do it! :)

Don't worry, I will absolutely hold you accountable. I couldn't be more excited, I finally have a friend who actually wants to craft with me. You all thought I was crazy when I used to talk about having sewing circles, but now look at you. ;)

Corrina said...

Ok...so funny...I was going to refer you to Jodi's blog because she does such awesome projects!! I have the desire to be crafty, but not the time or enough discipline to learn.

Unknown said...

YAY for RUFFLES! You will have to come down one weekend and we will have a crafts weekend. I will make my pomanders for the wedding and you will make yours for your little kiddo. Can you please decide on a name so I can start calling her by her name....thanks :)

liltleli said...

Jodi - walmart . . . yes, I will check them out. The bobbin is what freaks me out soooo much!!!

Candace - give her whiskey . . .

Beana - I have been following Jodi for over a year and been very inspired.

Lindsey - YES! Lets!

Denise said...

i didn't use glass rocks in the bottom of my vases, that would have been LOVELY though.

i didn't learn to sew till i was 30. my sis-in-law lindsey (lindseycheney.blogspot.com) taught me. she makes $ sewing.

i love my singer sewing machine it is very easy to use. simple.

those ruffle butts are a.dor.able!
check out a ruffle project i did last year.
http://www.joyshope.com/2009/05/ruffles-and-rick-rack.html

lately i have been going a little appli-crazy! it's sew easy.

here's an easy project you have to put in your mommy file!
http://jonesidosio.blogspot.com/2010/02/happy-february.html

have fun dressing up your dolly (that's what i tell my girls, "you are my dollies, and i like to dress you up!")

Anonymous said...

You can use my old one if you desire. It was given to me when I was seventeen, but it does still work!

liltleli said...

Anonymous . . . i would love to borrow it. However, I need to know who you are so I know who to contact.