4.3.10

Kaydance aka "Unit 1"



Ok, so my father, for years and years, has said that if he had his way 30 years ago, he would of started a trend in our family. He would of named me "Unit 1." My two sisters would of naturally been named, "Unit 2" and "Unit 3." I always thought this strange, odd and ridiculous. Until now . . . .
This week has given us many firsts. One of them is naming our unborn daughter. I uncharacteristically, became emotionally infatuated with one name in particular. I had unrealistic expectations for my DH to live up to. In my mind, I didn't even think twice about the idea that my future daughter's beautiful name, which means a melodic rhythm, would be coupled with the Sam Cooke classic, "The Chain Gang." Other popular witty references have been Dropkick Murphy's, Cadence of Arms or marching in combat. Being female, I had never even come close to thinking about these references. However, references they are and now, we are back to the drawing board . . . 21 weeks in.
For those of you who know me well, you know that knowing what we are having and not having a name for her, is DRIVING ME MAD! I am sure that there is a life lesson in this, I just have to decide to look into a bit more. I am sure it has something to do with patience, stopping and listening and not having expectations that are not CAREFULLY thought through. It is not like these haven't plagued me my ENTIRE life or anything . . . .

13 comments:

~the call of the Collings'~ said...

I know I don't get a vote, but if I did...Kaydance would still win!!! haha, mainly because my name means something like "broken down shack on a hill" or something LAME like that...yet Shelby is a really pretty name... but I will love her no matter what : )

Unknown said...

hahaha Unit 1 is funny. silly dad I still vote for Kaydance :)

Candace Tallmon said...

Well, I think Kaydance is beautiful (and fun spelling, that she would be having to spell out for people her whole life), but I'm not casting a vote. I agree with Shelby that the meaning is important. Maybe Kaydance just isn't the right one for this child. You guys will find the name! Maybe pregnancy just isn't complete without agonizing over a name for weeks/months. :)

liltleli said...

Shelby - I had no idea your name REALLY meant that. I always thought you were joking. :)

Lindsey - "Unit 1" sure would be easier than trying to find a new one.

Candace - I have no sympathy for spelling obstacles. Let's be honest, even if I were nice and named her something simple like Mary, she would still not go through life without having someone spell her name wrong.

liltleli said...

Debbie Elliot says -
Wow! Your Blog looks awesome. As far as "Unit 1," goes, it reminds me of Frank Zappa naming his kid "Moon Unit."

Denise said...

Mary means bitter. don't name her Mary. :-)

have you considered Denise (no one ever considers Denise anymore).

God knows her name, and her grandchildren's names. i like God and His mysteries.

Alexandra Michel said...

so compromise and go with Unit Kay:)

Sally Jane said...

You might have the "perfect" name picked out, but change your mind once you meet her. That's what happened with our Mark.

Gail Cleveland said...

I personally think you should not allow satan's trash to influence your choice of names. People will see what they will no matter what you choose. Example: I named my dog Benson. One man laughed because years ago there was a T.V. show called Benson which was about a butler who happened to be black. Thereby leaving the idea that African/Americans are in subservient rolls, so much so that dogs were named after them. That was NOT my intent, I just liked the name. Name your baby what YOU want not try to please, it will never happen!

~the call of the Collings'~ said...

Amen Gail!!

Candace Tallmon said...

Agreed, they're destined to endure misspellings regardless... and who am I to talk, naming my poor daughter Emelyne Charis. She'll be correcting people for FOREVER.

Kristi Jones said...

Agreed...you go with what you like. There's always going to be someone who comments or doesn't care for your childs name. My mother-in-law told us flat out she didn't like Breyton for a name. I think her exact words were.."What kind of name is that"? She has since informed us she loves the name and it fits him perfectly and couldn't imagine another name for him. If I were to have another girl (which is not happening)one of the names I like is Brielle, which comes from Gabrielle or the angel Gabriel, which means "Woman of God". But any name you choose will fit your beautiful daughter. ;)

liltleli said...

Kristi, that is a beautiful name for a little girl!