15.3.10

Pregnancy woes and a Babies R Us induced trauma . . .


We hit a couple of milestones this passed week. The first is I hit 23 weeks and officially am "showing." I still have the "sure, your pregnant" remarks on occasion, but I feel as if my belly is growing by the hour. I have officially gained three more pounds over the past two weeks, making my total weight gained, 8 lbs. I am having clothing issues . . . I have about three different outfits I can wear when I get home from work and the first two involves some form of "comfy pant." Attractive as it may be, that is what I have and that is what I get for now. I was given a ton of maternity clothes from a good friend. However, I was able to take four items from that basket and put in my closet for what I am guessing will be the end of my pregnancy. I told my sis that all maternity clothes are just too big and she said, "well at least your skinny." For the first time in my life, I thought, "well ya, but it would be so much easier if I could just gain a bit more weight so that I could actually fit the FREE clothes that were made available to me." Needless to say, many of you will probably not feel any remorse for me at all, but I am just plain frustrated with the entire situation.


On a positive note, I was able to wear a friends dress that if not pregnant, I would never of been able to wear. We went to our school's annual auction and had a great time. We left a bit early and decided to do a quick Costco run before the Auction. Apparently we have gotten really good at shopping in Costco, because what normally would of taken an hour and a half to accomplish. only took 30 minutes. So, I decided to introduce Michel to the wonderful world that we all know as Babies R Us.


At the very onset of the experience, Michel tensed up. Imagine a ten year old walking through a store with breakables everywhere. Children in this position, tend to walk very upright, tense and worried that their arm or leg might at any moment spontaneously jet out and knock over some ridiculously expensive item, regardless of how tightly they are currently holding their limbs to their bodies.
After a couple of laps around the store and a couple of "really, we actually need that" conversations, Michel was beginning to relax and become more comfortable with the experience. Then it happened . . . we entered the clothing section. Michel walked towards one of those really frilly dresses, looked at me and sad, "Ahh, this could be our daughter's first Easter dress." I watched as the serene expression on his face suddenly melted away and what looked like outright fear became it's replacement. He then looks at me and says, "First a simple Easter dress, then a prom dress, then a wedding dress . . . " Seriously folks, as my husband expressed his emotions, you could here the "dun, dun, duns" in the background. He then grabs my hand, says something about how we are not ready for this, and marches me right out of the store. It took all that was in me not to laugh hysterically. I later heard from other fathers, that this is a common feeling and that it to will pass. I also told Michel that to remedy the problem, it might require him to take a few trips down to Fresno, so that he can make some laps around BRU, you know, so he can get himself acclimated to the situation . . . cause as he said as we were rushing out the door, "It's not like it is going away, there is no turning back now . . . "

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hahaha as I reading about the BRU trip, I felt like I was actually there with you...I could see Michel doing that!

Denise said...

absolutely no turning back. happy dress shopping :-)

Grace said...

Haha, oh Michel... that is hilarious. Just wait until he is holding that little girl in his arms and then he will be doing the opposite - marching into the store saying "whatever you want sweetheart!". You look fabulous by the way... a good problem to have with all the clothes! :) I am almost having the oppostite problem... the free clothes are too small! :(

Alexandra Michel said...

oh my word i love this post tal!!! i took my michael to Baby land sunday and it was pretty entertaining. i could tell after looking at bedding mike was starting to loose it so i took the cue and we headed for the door:) although i will say we did finish our registry:)